Principal, G D Goenka Public School, Patna
Dr. Raghuveer Y V is a sincere teacher and well known academician from the past 25 years. Evolving innovative and creative teaching methods, research in science and education, curriculum development, authoring text books, teacher training, resource management, academic team building and hassle free administration are his areas of contribution to institutions set to global standards. He is sensitive to the needs of the student community and keenly attentive to the aspirations of parents and guardians. He is known to operate on four genuine pillars in School education. They are evident as skill, attitude, knowledge and environment (SAKE) which are democratically provided for every growing mind in his leadership.
I felt the importance and need of executing the following good school practices ‘after successfully executing them’ in the last 24+ years. As this profession is all about getting ‘genuine satisfaction for self’ and motivate other colleagues, students and their parents, I have consolidated major good school practices as guiding pointers to all readers.
- Define the School’s Curriculum to be followed by all educators
- Establish systematic daily lesson plans, concept maps, work sheets & projects in ‘learner centric’ class rooms
- Form the 'conspectus' across all subjects and classes to be given to parents
- Do horizontal and vertical planning among different section of classes to tally the modalities of work like critical thinking, concept handling, board work, activities, games, worksheets, homework, assessments & periodical experiential projects
- Introduce a number of Visual, Auditory, Read & Write, Kinaesthetic (VARK) based ‘teaching variants’ in class rooms and maintain teacher ‘log sheets’ for its accountability
- Develop Minimum Learning Outcome (MLO) in each subject across all classes by giving the subjective policies (SP) according to NCERT norms.
- Establish the standard 'examination corner' that includes month wise syllabus to be done, test and exam time table, subject wise blue print and revision strategies in term wise learning cycles
- Stream line note book corrections and homework allocation schedules through daily log books
- Strengthen 'English culture' in the school using proven methods like Drop Everything And Read (DEAR) technique, English Inspectors, word for ever, Spell Bee, Olympiads, Vocabulary exercises, School Forums, etc.
- Do regular class observations and consolidate credentials and concerns of each faculty in each term
- Provide School policies, guidelines, SOP's, Rules and regulations, check list, formats, job profiles, work calendar, meeting schedules and action plan, etc.
- Do periodical ‘mentorship’ programmes for teachers, parents and students
- Establish ‘target system’ for teachers and students
- Establish special education, remedial education and individual educational plans
- Maintain profiles & ‘anecdotal records’ of teachers / students through a multi-purpose register
- Do positive re-enforcement of ‘teacher's performance' and 3600 feedback for term wise appraisals
- Supervise different kinds of 'field trips' and 'experiential learning' to students across all the grades
- Follow board and institute policies regarding the budgetary process and procedures for planning and execution of library, laboratory, hostel, musical, art and all other academic and administrative requirements
- Create subject specific, qualitative reporting system with graphical representation along with action trigger plans on term end tests and exams.
- Establish primary and secondary school libraries separately with relevant books, e-books, magazines, articulates, spell bee, group games, etc.
- Balance the administrative and academic wings of school by group outbound activities
- Allocate floor wise ‘break duties’ and bus duties to faculty to maintain discipline in campus
- Use school ‘Building As Learning Aid (BALA)’ for children to add ‘value’ in learning
- Establish curriculum based sports, art, music and dance classes across all grades
- ‘Integrate the study system’ in senior section of classes, catering both to board and entrance exams
- Do parental orientation programmes like ‘art of parenting’ and ‘counseling’ sessions
- Make ‘Origami’ in math lab as an alternative tool to emphasize on 'active learning'
- Establish 'Student Parliament' & ‘Oracle Platforms’ to give ‘student empowerment’
- Establish Science and Math ‘teaching tools’ for giving hands on training to students
- Arrange for ‘professional school interlacing’ through inter-state & international school tours
- Prepare ‘teacher manuals’ on the types of formative / summative assessments and question tags
- Balance ‘school calendar’ to justify academics, co-curricular & extra-curricular activities
- Create 'open house, show case and theme based annual day sessions to create parental awareness
- Liaison and establish academic and administrative contacts for territorial rapport.
- Publish / Present educational experience articles in national & international forums / in work-shops, conferences & educational magazines
- Broadcast school newsletter and magazines through teacher and student resources
- Arrange for theme based 'assorted assembly' to benefit the different set of students
- Make principal's ‘signature event’ on fortnightly cycles
- Establish network of faculty / non-teaching staff to conduct all the school functions / community service to enhance school visibility
- Create and coordinate to work for different innovative hobby clubs, inter-house activities, inter-school competitions and their smooth functioning
- Involve in CSR initiative themes like go green, no plastic, human chain, etc.
Research & Development:
- Cater to Physical, Intellectual, Spiritual & Emotional quotients (PISE) of students using Skill, Attitude, Knowledge and Environment (SAKE) development through ‘creative teaching methods’
- Ideas & tools to improve academic standards and establish result oriented high quality teaching-learning pedagogy
- Rationalize the ‘vacation home work’ task both for quality and quantity analysis by teachers
- Implement the applications of multiple intelligence, blooms taxonomy, Montessori, home room teaching, shadow teaching and play way methods in the theory and practical classes of students
- Establish performing and visual arts (PVA) bank and create visibility and mileage
- Give references to text books, web sites, power point presentations and other e-books to strengthen teacher resources
- Introduce international ‘teaching – learning’ practices by establishing reliable contacts abroad
- Establish R&D centre and knowledge bank for the school
Sustenance of quality:
- Regular 'Teachers training' and team building
- Give ‘democratic leadership’ and teacher ‘empowerment to team’ for consistent harmony and results
- Conduct periodical teacher's evaluation before teachers (TEBT) to boost up their morale and confidence in their language, scholastic and Co-Scholastic areas
- Add values to science, maths, social, language and integrated labs in the school by adding TV, tablet and other electronic modes of learning applications
- Establish PTM's in two way and three way conferences with mapping system
- Equip the school counsellors with academic knowhow to get good admissions
- Arrange for entrance test and evaluation system with OMR sheets
- Establish higher, brighter and stronger levels of smart classes
- Establish college counseling and career counseling options
Principal, G D Goenka Public School, Patna