International Day of Yoga 2020: Tips for Students and Teachers
Yoga is a spiritual, mental, and physical practice that originated thousands of years ago in India. International Day of Yoga is celebrated every year on 21st June. The day is commemorated to spread awareness about the many benefits of yoga for well-being and health. People from different nations participate in yoga sessions to perform various yoga poses.
As the world is going through difficult times due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it has become imperative for everyone to take good care of their mental and physical health. Hence, celebrations like International Day of Yoga become more significant than ever. In fact, this year's International Day of Yoga focuses on 'doing yoga at home with family.' If we talk about the education landscape, it is vital that students, teachers, school management, and parents take care of their well-being, and celebrate the day by doing yoga from home. Here are some tips for students and teachers to celebrate the day.
Incredible Benefits of Yoga
Let's find some of the most incredible benefits of yoga before we discuss how the students and educators should celebrate International Day of Yoga 2020. These benefits have been backed by science.
- Yoga can alleviate stress. It calms your mind and body.
- Yoga has helped people to reduce anxiety. It might not treat your anxiety in an instant but will definitely help you find a sense of peace.
- Several types of research have proved that yoga can improve heart health and reduce the risks of heart diseases.
- Since yogic exercises help decrease the levels of cortisol, it can help you fight depression.
- When you do yoga regularly, your mood improves, and you start feeling more positive. Hence, it enhances the quality of life.
Tips for Students and Teachers
Since International Day of Yoga 2020 is concerned with doing yoga at home with family, here are some tips for students and teachers. Take a look.
- Begin with an Easy Flow: This is advisable to teachers as well as students. Before hopping on to those complex yoga poses, start with easy ones or meditate instead. You need to concentrate and calm your senses before engaging in those challenging yoga poses.
- Connect Online for a Yoga Session:Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the best way to celebrate International Yoga Day is to take part in a virtual yoga session. You can use a leading video calling platform to do this.
- Make Informative Posters: To make International Yoga Day more exciting at home, teachers can ask students to create informative posters highlighting the different benefits of yoga and why it is essential for us. This activity will not only motivate students but will also make the celebration more thrilling.
- Motivate Others: Since staying positive is the need of the hour, you should motivate your friends and relatives to take part in International Day of Yoga 2020 celebrations. Make them familiar with the benefits of yoga and how they can improve their mental as well as physical health in the midst of the pandemic. You can share messages and informative articles to help them understand how yoga can benefit them.
- Do not Become a Part of Mass Gatherings or Encourage One: The best thing a person could do right now is stay home. Hence, do not be a part of mass gatherings to celebrate the day. Although the celebrations will differ from the previous years, students and teachers must connect via online sessions to commemorate the day.
Critical thinking forms the foundation of strategic thinking; hence, it helps them become good at problem-solving and decision making. Like creative thinking, the essential base of critical thinking should be laid at a young age among students. Teachers should motivate students to ask questions, explore, and test theories to reach better results. Their curiosities should be encouraged and set free. A 21st Century skill, critical thinking helps students to think in the right way and make the best decisions. It lets learners question the possible outcomes of different actions. Teachers should ask students to explain various topics and how their solution is the best option to solve a problem. Debates and group discussions are a great way to make students critical thinkers.
The four Cs play a significant role in the holistic development of modern learners. With the pointers mentioned above, teachers can improve collaboration, communication, creative and critical thinking in students.